The RA Schools, the postgraduate art school at the Royal Academy of Arts, London, has announced plans for a reconfiguration and refurbishment of their work spaces.
The project will create new workshops and more studio space for the Schools; a new library; and a new suite of technical workshops. Existing spaces, which were built in the 1870, will be restored to maximize space and light, and improve access and circulation. These include the Sydney Smirke studios, the life drawing room and the Cast Corridor, which all form historic elements that are part of the institution’s 250-year history. Continue reading David Chipperfield
The first international outpost of the Berlin-based BASTIAN gallery has opened in London’s Mayfair. The gallery is dedicated to showing modern and contemporary art and opens with an exhibition of Andy Warhol’s polaroid pictures, on display 2 February – 13 April. Continue reading David Chipperfield
The Zhejiang Museum of Natural History is the centrepiece of a new cultural area near Dipuzhen in eastern China, an area renowned for its extensive bamboo forests. The new museum is set on a sloping site in a large natural park overlooking rice fields in the valley below. Continue reading David Chipperfield
This residential project, won in competition, is located at the south-west corner of the Colville Estate, a housing development in Hackney, east London, built in the 1950s. It forms part of Hackney Council’s programme of redevelopment across the borough that calls for around 2,500 new homes to be built over the coming years. Karakusevic Carson Architects was originally commissioned to develop a comprehensive masterplan, which was adopted in 2011. The two residential towers, 16 and 20 storeys respectively, form part of this masterplan and are intended for private sale to co-fund the larger redevelopment of the estate. Continue reading Chipperfield . Karakusevic Carson
As a continuation of Friedrich August Stüler’s forum architecture, the James Simon Galerie serves as the new entrance building for Museum Island, completing the ensemble between the Kupfergraben canal and the south-west façade of the Neues Museum. Together with the ‘Archaeological Promenade’, it forms the backbone of the masterplan that was developed in 1999 and adopted as the basis for all further planning on Museum Island. The building is sited on a narrow strip of land where Karl Friedrich Schinkel’s ‘Neuer Packhof’ administration building stood until 1938. Continue reading David Chipperfield